Monday, February 23, 2009

The Toast

When my sister asked me to give a toast in honor of her and her new husband at their wedding I knew I wanted it to be unique. There were so many things I was thinking and feeling, yet they all sounded cliche; "I've never seen my sister so happy," "I know you'll have a wonderful life together," "you are perfect for each other," etc. So I did what I know best; I wrote a story. I wrote a short fairy tale about a Polish Princess in search of her Polish Prince. It's not the best written story ever, yet I believe it's a good example of creativity and a memorable and unique speech. There are no quotes and our senses aren't involved as dramatically as I would have liked. At least I know the flaws instead of trying to sell you on an adequate piece, at best.

As the Matron of Honor I wanted to focus more on my sister and what every girl dreams of, having their fairy tale wedding and dreams coming true. I assumed the Best Man's toast would focus more on his relationship with my brother-in-law and advice for the couple to use in the future, which was accurate. My story reflected this as well as the wonderful qualities my new brother-in-law possesses. I will agree that my story is less of a toast and more of a history lesion on the newlyweds; however, I'm also the Matron on Honor, not the official toaster which I feel is the job of the Best Man. In my mind this gave me greater flexibility to be more creative. Having written the story in a leather bound journal to give to the couple, it also allowed me to actually read the bulk of my speech without having to worry about memorizing a toast.

The fairy tale didn't end "happily ever after" as most do. I left the story open ended and gave the couple a homework assignment. I told them that Chapter one of their lives had been written, now it's their turn the complete the rest. Each day, for the rest of their lives I asked them to write down in their journal why they loved one another that particular day and what each one has done to bring the other closer to Heaven. I also told them that we all know that life is not always "happily ever after" and it will have ups and downs along the way. The important part is how they react to one another during those times. That's why it's so important to write about their journey because they may discover a pattern, good or bad, in their relationship. They can learn from the past and make their future even better. If only every couple took the time to do this for one another; love would grow, divorce would plummet, and there would be a lot of great love stories to enjoy.

Here is Ch. 1 of my sister and her new husband's love story.

Once there was a Polish Princess named Christine who lived in a land called Rome. She dreamed of finding herself a good, gentlemanly Polish Prince who would love her and her little dogs too; but, she feared she was stricken with the crazy dog lady curse, which would leave her without a male human companion for life. Nevertheless, she didn't give up hope of one day finding her true love. In her pursuits she met other suitors but they were all lacking that good Polish charisma. Many a heart did she break but hers was unscathed because not a one cared for her with respect and gratitude, as a princess should be treated.

Then one day, while enjoying the pubs with Anita, her lady in waiting, she met a kind, gentile and shy man by the name of Tom. She did not know that he was really a Polish Prince disguised in plain clothing. With nothing to lose and a future to gain, Christine gathered up the courage to give Tom her phone number.

Two days had passed and Christine's hopes began to fade in this fair fellow, Tom. But alas, on the third day he gained the courage to call this beautiful princess and kindly asked to see her again. In three days time the three Poles met again for another encounter. Three you ask? Why yes. What would a second date be without Anita the princesses chaperon. Princess Christine found her encounters with Tom very favorable so she told Anita that her services were no longer needed.

Emotions between Tom and Christine quickly escalated and his true identity as a Polish Prince was revealed and the crazy dog lady curse had been lifted. Not only was Tom kind, thoughtful and patient, he also treated her with respect and gratitude, which her other suitors failed in doing. His good deeds did not go unacknowledged and in return she gave him her heart.
Princess Christine has always been know as a happy, down to earth, hard working, loving person; but due to Prince Tom, a noticeable change occurred within her. The princess became giddy with love. She was utterly happy all the time, laughed at everything and she was unable to release the smile which was cast upon her face. Ann, Jessie, her friends, family, co-workers and even her little dogs noticed this sudden, euphoric change and they knew their love was meant to last a lifetime.

One year to the day after first laying eyes upon each other, Prince Tom proposed marriage and Princess Christine gladly accepted. He adorned her with a diamond as a proclamation of his love and devotion to her. Christine promptly sold her estate and their palaces were combined into one. The prince quickly learned of Christine's need for a maid and a closet solely for shoes. He was a bit overwhelmed and shocked to say the least. Nevertheless, his love for this sweet princess was unfailing and couldn't even be wavered by her mischievous dog Codi.

A few short month later they were wed on the 14th day of February at St. Mary Our Lady of Czestochowa church, a good Polish Parish, of course. They felt their love greatest on this day of all, yet they soon learned their love would become even more grand as time progressed. For their wedding day was merely the start of their lives as husband and wife, rulers of their Polish kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment